Fort Myers Webcam
Fort Myers Webcam Courtesy Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Fort Myers is a city located on the southwestern coast of Florida, United States. It is the county seat and commercial center of Lee County. Here are some key points about Fort Myers:
- Location: Fort Myers is situated on the banks of the Caloosahatchee River and is part of the broader Cape Coral-Fort Myers metropolitan area. It is approximately 120 miles (193 kilometers) southeast of Tampa and 140 miles (225 kilometers) northwest of Miami.
- Climate: Fort Myers experiences a humid subtropical climate, characterized by hot and humid summers and mild winters. The city enjoys abundant sunshine throughout the year and is known for its pleasant weather.
- History: Fort Myers was originally established as a military fort in 1850 during the Seminole Wars. It was named after Colonel Abraham C. Myers, who was the son-in-law of the fort’s founder. Over time, it developed into a thriving community with agriculture, fishing, and tourism as its main industries.
- Attractions: Fort Myers offers a range of attractions and activities for visitors and residents alike. Some popular destinations include:
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates: The winter homes of inventors Thomas Edison and Henry Ford are open to the public. Visitors can explore the historic estates, gardens, and the Edison Ford Museum.
- Fort Myers Beach: This barrier island just off the coast of Fort Myers is a popular destination for its sandy beaches, water sports, fishing, and vibrant nightlife.
- Sanibel Island: Located nearby, Sanibel Island is known for its shell-filled beaches, wildlife refuges, and bike-friendly paths. It’s a great place for nature lovers and those seeking a tranquil retreat.
- Downtown River District: Fort Myers’ downtown area features a revitalized waterfront district with shops, restaurants, art galleries, and live entertainment venues.